books

books

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Jennifer Ciotta Speaks in Ridgefield, CT


Author, Jennifer Ciotta spoke about her controversial new novel, I, Putin, at Bernard's restaurant in Ridgefield, CT this past Thursday. We were excited to meet with her, and get to know a little more about her fascinating portrayal of Vladimir Putin


Recently, we were lucky enough to chat with Jennifer, and it was great to share our thoughts about it and hear yours! We are excited to learn a little bit more about the story behind her story. So, without further ado... take it away, Jennifer! 

What was the inspiration for I, Putin?

Vladimir Putin himself was the inspiration for the book. I had served as a Peace Corps volunteer in the former Soviet republic of Estonia from 2000 to 2002. In August 2000 the Kursk tragedy occurred. The Russian submarine, the Kursk, exploded with 118 sailors on board. Putin did not react for four and a half days to this crisis, thus sending the Russian people and media into a fury. Even the Estonians, who think of the Russians as “occupiers,” were moved by the dying sailors. This is when I said to myself, “Who is Vladimir Putin and what makes him tick?” Putin’s non-reaction to the Kursk crisis sparked my 12-year journey of researching, writing and editing this novel.


How long did it take you to write I, Putin?

12 years overall. The first seven years I researched informally, and then I spent two years at the Gallatin School at New York University, in the master’s program. My first year at NYU, I formally researched, and the second year, I started to write the book. I completed a master’s degree in Russian studies and creative writing. Then I spent another three and a half years writing and then editing the novel. Read more...




Read the Reviews
What happens when a president is faced with a decision so harrowing, it changes him forever? 118 submariners spiraling into the abyss, a country in chaos and a president who seems not to care. Through the eyes of a first person Vladimir Putin, and his personal aide Gosha, discover what motivates the man behind Russia.  Is he the cold, ruthless Vladimir Putin we know, or is he … human?



Winner of Honorable Mentions at the New York Book Festival & Hollywood Book Festival, 2012!

Available on: Amazon (Paperback & Kindle)B&N Nook, iBook, Sony eReader, Kobo and more!


Connect with Jennifer Ciotta:



4 comments:

  1. Great photos! Thanks so much, Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping b Jennifer! It was great to meet with you : ) ~ Jess & Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, go, Jennifer, go! Sounds like an awesome read, and I'm impressed with all the research poured into this book and then the work of writing it. Amazing!

    Thanks for featuring Jennifer Ciotta, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn- I agree with you that the amount of research Jennifer did is amazing. Thanks for stopping by. :) ~Jess

      Delete