books

books

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Author Interview with Ingrid Law


The DMS was lucky enough to interview Ingrid Law, author of the middle grade novel SavvyLizzy reviewed this fantastical book and its colorful characters. It was fun to share our thoughts about it and hear yours! We are excited to learn a little bit more about the story behind her story. So, without further adieu... take it away, Ingrid! 
What inspired you to write Savvy?
One day, I sat down and decided to write a single crazy sentence without thinking about it too hard and without judging it too much. I wrote: “When my brother Fish turned thirteen, we moved to the deepest part of inland because of the hurricane and, of course, the fact that he’d caused it.” It’s still the first sentence of the book! The whole story grew out of that simple, spontaneous writing exercise.

How long did it take you to write Savvy?
After that first sentence appeared on my computer screen, I was able to write the first draft of Savvy very quickly—it took about four and a half months. Once I found an agent and a publisher, I spent several more months in the revision and editing process. But, start to finish, from the first sentence that popped into my head to the last line-edit emailed back to my editor, the book took about nine or ten months. My second book, Scumble, took longer--nearly two-and-a-half years!
What are some of your favorite books from childhood? Were there any specific authors who inspired you?
I always loved books about magic, and books with a sense of wonder or adventure. Diana Wynne Jones was one of my favorite authors. I loved the Anne of Green Gables books, by L.M. Montgomery, as well. Arthurian legends, the Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Prydain, mysteries, sci-fi... I loved it all. I enjoyed anything that showed me new worlds or new ways of looking at the world.
If you could befriend any of the characters from your books, who would you befriend? Why?
Uncle Autry, from Scumble! Autry O'Connell's 'savvy' gives him sway over all kinds of insects and creepy-crawlies. I'd befriend him in an instant just so that he could tell all the spiders of the world--and all the mosquitoes too--to stay away from me. (This will come in handy in my answer to question #6 as well.)
What is your favorite song?
It depends on the day, and my mood. But I am very fond of "Crazy ABC's," by Barenaked Ladies, and love anything by Regina Spektor (her new song "All the Rowboats" is very, very cool).
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?
I would build a tiny, internet-free house next to Monet's Water Garden Pond, in Giverny, France. I love ponds. They are peaceful, yet so full of life. And I imagine that Monet's pond must be one of the loveliest in the world.

Where can we purchase your books?
People can ask for my books at tropical fish stores, miniature golf courses, and the Pentagon : ) Want better luck? Try your local bookstore, or shop online. Support your local indie!
 ☞ Barnes and Noble ☞ Amazon   Author Website ☞ Facebook ☞Goodreads ☟



2 comments:

  1. How thrilling to read another fantastic review about Ingrid. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, Thanks for stopping by! Stephanie and I truly enjoyed reviewing Savvy, and we were thrilled to learn a little more about Ingrid. She is very nice : ) ~ Jess

      Delete